Wednesday, December 11, 2013

True To My Word...

When I was 8 years old, my grade 3 teacher had us do a project on any country in the world. Not one to be too studious, I grabbed an encyclopedia and flipped through it and under my finger hit a country.  My finger landed on Tanzania, Africa and from there I have always wanted to visit to climb it's volcano; Kilimanjaro, on the top of Africa, the tallest free standing mountain in the world.  
I have told many people that some day I will climb that mountain.

Lennie and I as teachers had the opportunity to apply for a self funded leave allowing us to have 6 months paid leave starting in January till June. We applied, were accepted, and contributed 20% of our pay for a couple of years into a fund that we will access while off in January.  
I have told many people that some day we will do a self funded leave.

In 2007 I met a really cool teacher named Kristine in my Principal's courses.  We hit it off right away and she returned in 2008 to complete the second course with me.  She was from London but was living and teaching in Singapore with her family.  While she was here I borrowed a book from her and promised that some day I would come to Singapore to return the book.  
I have told many people that some day I would travel to Singapore to see Kristine, her country, family, and return the book.

We are finally here.  9 days away from our adventure.  Lennie and I are going on a trip around the world, literally, 50,000+ km, stopping in Central America, Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, California, Seattle, Victoria, then home.

Got our shots - they hurt
With lots of amazing things in between, we are checking off many things on our bucket lists.
  • Go on a cruise

  • Summit Mount Kilimanjaro

  • See a giraffe eat from a tree and zebras run in the wild on a safari

  • Return a book to Kristen Greenslaw in Singapore

  • Swim in the infinity pool at the Marina Bay Hotel, Singapore

  • Have a Singapore sling in Singapore

  • Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef

  • Hold a koala bear

  • International driver's licences - check
  • Complete the Sydney, Australia bridge walk

  • See the Charles Sturt campus in Wagga Wagga, Queensland where I completed my MEd

  • See water flow counter clockwise in a toilet

  • Paddle board in New Zealand

  • See the Hollywood sign and take a TMZ tour - yes we are that cheesy

  • Drive the Pacific Coast Highway
etc etc etc

Stay tuned for our adventures.