Friday, March 18, 2011

The BFF

I have had some great friends in my life.  Growing up the Mahood girls rocked, in high school I loved my basketball team friends and in university Lennie and I had some wonderful buds.

But, for those of you that really know me, you know that I am a bit of loner.  I like peace and quiet.  I am a home body and now have only a few close friends plus 1 BFF... Megan P. 


I was once again reminded this week why she is so special to me when she handed me a bracelet she had bought.  Actually it was two bracelets made by a cancer survivor. The idea was to buy the bracelets and wear 1 and give the other away - she gave it to me.  It is quite simple, just a piece of black woven cotton with a clasp, but on the clasp it says "Trust Your Journey".   We haven't really talked about the whole cancer thing much so I think this is our way to talk about stuff without actually having to talk about it.


http://www.trustyourjourney.com/product/AC314  "The TYJ Share Bracelet--"Give One, Keep One", is a very special set of two bracelets designed for sharing the journey with a friend, family member or anyone who needs a daily positive message of just knowing someone is there for them. It might just be a bump in the road, a mountain to climb or celebrating a special moment in life--there is no greater comfort or joy than sharing the journey with others.  Two braided cotton bracelets each with a Trust Your Journey medallion and lobster clasp closure."

I got to do 1 of my favourite things this week and that is to go to Florida to see my parents over spring break with my Megan.  We sit  by the pool, read, relax and get spoiled by my parents. 

I remember the first time I realized that we both felt that we were best friends..one day while crossing the border to go to Michigan and the border patrol officer asked how do we know each other and in unison we both said "we are best friends", I know that is the first time anyone has ever said that (except for the Lenster)

We really are unlikely friends. 

Brought together over 13 years ago because our husbands were friends and they thought it would be easier for them if the "wives" got along.  I met Megan one day while she was walking her dog.  Scotty (her husband and my husband's bud) sent her over to ask if I wanted to go for a walk.  We just sat and hung out on our front porch chatting.  She was pretty neat but I was living in Toronto and busy all the time commuting and travelling all over the place so I didn't see her much until 2000 when we both got teaching jobs at TVDSB and got to sign our contracts on the same day.

I am still fascinated that we have remained friends as we didn't have that much in common.

  • Meg likes dogs - I like cats and can't stand dogs as they smell and are unpredictable - sorry dog lovers
  • Meg loves to shop - I can't stand shopping because nothing ever fits me.
  • Megan doesn't like physical activity - I love it and try all kinds of crazy activities.
  • Meg wanted kids - I am happy SHE had them
  • Money burns a hole in Megan's wallet - mine does not leave the bank
  • Meg is a good person and goes to church each week - I think about going often but never make it
  • Megan is tall, thin and gorgeous - well...I am tall.
  • Megan is a tad scared of technology - I am a tad addicted to my IPhone

Now I realize that we have a lot more in common than I thought...

  • Megan is a teacher - I am a teacher
  • Megan loves to sit by a pool and relax - I love it!
  • Megan loves to read and really "gets into books" - I do too and often am seen crying while reading a good one
  • Megan loves to make fun of her husband - that it is my favourite thing to do - make fun of hers and mine!!
  • Megan loves her kids - I love her kids!
  • Megan loves craft shows - me too!
  • Megan loves to make fun of the skinny chicks on ANTM and really it is my favourite thing to do - I wish they would eat a sandwich
  • Megan loves photos and scrapbooking - we know how much I love scrapbooking
  • Megan loves her family and spends lots of time with her parents - me too!
  • Megan adores Starbucks and well we know my love for coffee houses.
  • Megan is often seen munching on chips and candy..well, we know my issue with sweets.
We talked this week about how our friendship has worked out so well and she reflected on 2 facts that make it work.

Firstly, she said that we took a long time to become friends - slowly doing things together and trying lots of events with other i.e parties, scrapbooking days and dinners with husbands.  Sometimes women jump really quickly into being friends with other women and it doesn't work out because you annoy each other quickly. 

Secondly, Megan likes the fact that we can be really honest with each other and say if we do not want to do something and NOT feel guilty about it.  What I noticed this week was that fact that we do not worry about silence - we can ride in a car for long periods of time or eat at a restaurant and not have to talk, just be there without talking...what a pleasure to just be in someone's company and not feel the pressure to chat.  Don't get me wrong, Megan and I chat - almost everyday on the phone but often we do not and that is ok.

Thank you Meggie for our journey - I will trust it!