Monday, January 11, 2016

Recover "ed"

Today I went back to work today after missing 12.5 days.

If you know me, you know that this is unbelieveable. One day off maybe, but 12.5. What the what!

I haven't missed that many days of work in a row since 2011 when I had my cancer surgery and before that it was 2007 when I got diagnosed with Crohn's disease so, you know it must have been a bit of a big deal.

Without providing TMI, I had a big surgery but that is not what this blog is about.

I wanted to come back to work after Christmas. That would have been 4.5 days off after a major surgery. I was feeling guilty and always feel guilty whenever I am not at work. I get paid to be there right? I need to be present for our school, students, staff, and community right? Well, if you remember my unfortunate hospitalization in August for the stupid disseminated Zoster virus mess (see blog Never Fully Charged) I like to be a work. I like my job and especially the people I get to be with everyday.

But, something changed when I reread my Never Fully Charged post. I realized I was actually letting my school community down but not being even close to 100%. Why would I return again to work and not be at my best. Why return "recovering" when I need to return "recovered"? It took me to November to recover from the summer situation and this was going to be no easy recovery either.



Then I saw this picture "you can't pour from an empty cup".

I would hope that those that know me, have worked with me, or care in anyway for me realize that I needed to "recover". Not just be ok, and ready to go but actually "recovered" from this major surgery. I hope people know that rarely do I put myself first. (Check out Simon Sinek's book Leaders Eat Last and his YouTube talk Why Leaders Eat Last

I have slept, cooked good meals, gone for walks, knitted, read, worked on my doctorate final dissertation, and just rested - something I can't really remember doing for a long time. I feel amazing. I am ready to go and be a good leader again. I am feeling 95% (tough to be 100% with Crohn's disease always looming in the background) but am proud that I made the decision to listen to the doctors and surgeons to take this time needed to fully recover.

To those who are feeling guilty about being at home because you are not well, stop it. Take the time you need to be your best because your friends, family, and co-workers deserve you to be firing on all cylinders.

Today was wonderful. I felt great, got to see all my school community, got lots done and was able to get back at it!

A lot of people are posting their "word" for 2016. Easy...my word is RECOVERED and proud of it.

Hugs

Z